Borley Rectory was a house that gained infamy as “the most haunted house in England” after being described as such by psychic researcher Harry Price. Built in 1862 to house the rector of the parish of Borley and his family, it was badly damaged by fire in 1939 and demolished in 1944.
The large Gothic-style rectory in the village of Borley had been alleged to be haunted ever since it was built. These reports multiplied suddenly in 1929, after the Daily Mirror published an account of a visit by paranormal researcher Harry Price, who wrote two books supporting claims of paranormal activity.
The church (dedication unknown) is a small building of stone; the nave may date to the 11th century. Later renovations have resulted in the mainly perpendicular style of the mid-14th to 16th centuries, still visible in the chancel and the western tower. The church as it now stands consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a crenellated western tower containing three bells, two of which were cast by Alfred Bowell of Ipswich in 1926, and one from 1574 cast by S II Tonni. They hang in their original oak frame with evidence a fourth bell may once have been present. There is a topiary walk leading to the porch, with bushes once shaped like Indian chess pieces.
The path use to be flag stones, however as of 2017 a new brick, wheelchair friendly path has been installed with side lights. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building. Grade I is the highest of the three grades of listing, granted to buildings that “are of exceptional interest, sometimes considered to be internationally important”. Not long after 1545 the manor was granted to Sir Edward Waldegrave (knighted in 1553 at the coronation of Queen Mary, died in the Tower of London on 1 September 1561) by Henry VIII. After the death of Edward, he was admitted to Queen Mary’s privy council and granted the manor of Navestock, where he moved the family seat. In addition Waldegrave was Master of the Wardrobe for Queen Mary and her husband, Philip II of Spain.
The chancel contains a monument to John Durham of Norfolk. Several tombs of the Waldegrave family are found within the structure, including a monument 14 feet high, 9 feet long, and 5 feet wide, with a cornice supported by six pillars of the Corinthian order, beneath which lie full-length marble figures of Sir Edward Waldegrave and his wife Lady Frances Waldegrave née Neville (died 1599). Both tombs bear a marginal inscription in Latin and a record of other alliances of this family. On the chancel’s north wall is a devotional statue of Magdala Southcote, Walgrave’s daughter, who died 8 September 1598 (Nikolaus Pevsner notes it, but calls it “not good”). The church contains memorials to two 19th-century rectors, John Philip Herringham and his son William Herringham. John Philip was a Pembroke graduate and one of the signees of a declaration protesting the Maynooth Grant in 1845; William entered Peterhouse, Cambridge. The glebe was 10 acres (4.0 ha) in the mid-19th century; in both 1821 and 1831 the parish had 195 inhabitants.
The church and rectory both have a history of paranormal activity., including phantom organ music, ghostly chanting, and the ghost of a nun moving about the churchyard. Tales from the church and the rectory are frequently connected to a supposed Benedictine monastery in the area.
Paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren documented their experience at Borley with clear photo evidence. Ed was able to capture the photo of the ghost of a monk, leafing though a book in the church.While Lorraine experienced a black mass moving past her with an undeniable evil energy. The photos revealed a nun in their presence.
If you guys want some more entertainment. Check out another article or video below!
Things always seem mysterious on chilly fall nights in the country. For Woodrow Derenberger, his mysterious encounter with an almost human grinning man on the backroads of West Virginia one November night would affect him and his family for almost a quarter of a century. In 1966, Woodrow Derenberger was a sewing machine salesman living… Continue Reading →
As legend has it, the flying Mothman mortified countless Point Pleasant residents in the late 1960s. And when a bridge collapsed, the creature was blamed for the deaths of 46 people. On November 12, 1966, in Clendenin, West Virginia, a group of gravediggers working in a cemetery spotted something strange. They glanced up from their… Continue Reading →
Some have called it a supernatural place. Others have deemed it “cursed.” Terry Sherman got so spooked by the happenings on his new cattle ranch that 18 months after moving his family of four to the property now known by many as “Skinwalker Ranch” in northeastern Utah, he sold the 512-acre parcel away. He and… Continue Reading →